Friday, September 16, 2011

2011 Siesta Scripture Memory Team: Verse 18!!

God has led me to each verse that I have picked for 2011 Siesta Scripture Memory Team. Today's is no different. (well yesterday's).

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Luke 9:23

A few weeks ago our Assoc Pastor taught on denying ourselves and taking up his cross daily and following Christ. At first, I was thinking, that is soooo hard. Things of this world pull you in & drag you down and sometimes you just think this is hard. But, I have prayed that God would show me in what ways He wants me to live out this verse. Since then, I have said that to myself repeatedly. In times when I am overwhelmed with my to do list, when someone asks me to do one more thing, when the laundry pile is never ending, when the clock says its 11pm and I just want to go to sleep, when someone does or says something that just grates my last nerve, when my kids are fighting, when I think I just want to quit, when I want that pair of shoes, when I want that brownie.... He has spoke to my spirit.... and sometimes I have to say it over & over.....deny yourself Piper. Take up your cross and follow Him.

Sometimes (most of the time) it takes me a while to "get it" and God usually has to get my attention in more ways than one. Well, He did just that on Sunday morning. And I haven't forgotten it. He hasn't let me. And I don't think I want to.
Preacher H shared his burden for WV, with tears flowing, he told of a man that was killed in in a 4-wheeler accident. He had shared the gospel numerous times with this man. Yet, he never accepted Christ. He was so heart broken over this. God used this for His Glory, 13 people accepted Christ at the funeral. He has prayed for several years that God would send someone there to start a church, and through this tragedy, Preacher H is starting the church for those in Jenkins Jones, WV. He is denying himself and choosing to follow Christ.

A true picture of Luke 9:23!!
Pray for Preacher H!!!

How this man blesses my heart!!.... while he was telling us I realized that Preacher H is a true picture denying himself, taking up his cross and following Christ daily. Without a doubt this man does this daily, along with love, faith, compassion, grace, passion & desire to do His Father's Will.  Please pray for his health, strength, financial obligations of a church and for his family....& his precious wife Miss M!

So I must make a daily choice to deny myself, and take up my cross (whatever my suffering and my trials) and follow CHRIST! How about you? How do you apply this scripture to your life?

God Bless!!

Piper :)

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Whoa! You just preached me a sermon! I am feeling so overwhelmed right now but your words just spoke to me so much. Yes, H has such a humble heart that I am in awe of his love for the Lord. If only we would all have a heart like him. Thanks for your words. It has encouraged me! Love ya!